회원 체험담
회원 체험담

Ex-Christian 1탄

페이지 정보

작성자 no_profile 여행자 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 (124.♡.41.220), 작성일 07-01-06 02:14, 조회 7,119, 댓글 0

본문

이미 한국에서도 일부 지각있는 분들이 기독교계의 문제점들을 파악, 지적하고 있지만

기독교 전파의 근원지라고도 할 수 있는 미국에서도 전직 목사, 전도사, 목사 사모 등등

많은 사람들이 기독교에 대해 비판을 하고 있습니다.

기독교 비판 세력은, 한국에서는 "안티 기독교"라는 이름으로 잘 알려져 있는데, 미국인들은

이들 스스로를 "脫 기독교인(ex-christian)" 이라고들 부르고 있습니다. (www.exchristian.net)

아래 글은, 수많은 안티 기독교 사이트 중 가장 온건한 사이트로 알려진 "종비련" 에서

"그랑제꼴"이라는 필명으로 번역해 올렸던 글입니다. (www.gigabon.com)

시간에 쫓기면서 번역했던 거라 허접하지만 양해해 주시구요...

'해리'라는 청년이 쓴 글에 대해 여러 사람들이 댓글을 쓴 것입니다. 몇 십개 댓글 중에서

몇 개만 옮겼구요...

기독교가 국교이다시피 한 문화권에서, 다른 종교적 견해를 가진 미국인들이 기독교에 대해 느끼는 반감과

기독교인들이 말하는 神의 속성에 대해 회의를 느끼는 이들의 채워지지 않는 영적인 갈망이나

갈등 같은 것들을 간접적으로나마 느껴보시는 계기가 되었으면 합니다. ^^*

_______________________________________________________________________________________

<< Questioning Everything >> - sent in by Harry M -

Hi everyone. My name is Harry. I've posted on here a couple of times before. At this stage in my life I am very confused and feel like I'm in a paradox. Currently, I attend a United Church (you know, that church that some evangelists consider a church of the devil because we accept all people). Anyways, I'm involved in some activities there and even chair a committee. But lately I've been questioning my faith altogether. So what I'm doing now, I guess, is just writing out my thoughts so that I can get more clarity to figure out what exactly I believe.

I am 26 years old. I've been a Christian since I was five. Went through some difficult times with addictions at the age of 19 and when I was 20 I attended a local Bible College where I became indoctrinated every day about Salvation and Hell and Evil this and Evil that, etc. I graduated with a diploma but after graduation I began questioning my faith and explored other religions (became a Muslim briefly). Didn't know what to believe anymore and finally came back to the United Church.

In my recovery program I have often sensed my higher power more than I do at church. I have so many unanswered questions when it comes to religion in general and the Bible in particular. And yet, when I think about it more and more, I do have the answers. I'm just too afraid to acknowledge them. It feels like the truth is staring me in the face but something is holding me back. 

I consider myself to be a spiritual person. I believe in a higher power, but I am beginning to wonder if maybe this being is simply the creator and is the source of all of us humans. When we die, we return to that source. Did he/she/it really intend for all this hypocricy in religion and for people to kill each other in God's name?

The doctrine that I have the biggest problem with, is the concept of hell. How God could make various peoples, knowing they would have various beliefs and religions, and then condemning them to hell because they were born into the wrong religion. Also, Pre-Destination. God creates us and then Pre-Destines us to heaven or hell and rather than not creating us at all, he makes us and then says.... sorry you can't enter my kingdom because I already pre-destined you to burn in hell for all eternity. It kind of contradicts the notion of free will.

Anyways, I recently finished reading "The Davinci Code". It was a good book and it got me thinking about the church and hypocricy and stuff like that. A lot of evangilists and right wingers are scared of this book because they know that if people start thinking for themselves, they won't need religion anymore. The church will crumble, but not just church, other religions as well. If there is a God, wouldn't he want us to love and respect one another and to do good works to benefit humanity? Eat, Drink and be Merry, for today we LIVE!!!!

Life is short. I believe there are still things for me to discover that I don't quite understand. Maybe I need a vacation from church to clear my head. I don't know. Any suggestions any of you reading this may have, feel free to e-mail me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for letting me vent briefly.

Regina

SK

Canada

Left: 26?

Was: Many, currently United.

Now: Seeker of Truth

Converted because: local group converted me

De-converted because: Questioned everything

email: spare at accesscomm dot ca

<< 모든 것에 대해 의문을 갖기 >>- 2006. 5. 29. 월. 작성자 해리 M -

여러분, 안녕하세요? 저는 해리라고 합니다. 전에도 이곳에 몇 번 글을 올린 적이 있습니다.

요즘 전, 매우 혼란스럽고 일종의 자가당착에 빠진 듯한 느낌입니다. 저는 현재 연합 그리스도

교회에 출석하고 있습니다. (여러분도 아시다시피, 모든 종파의 사람들을 포용한다는 이유로

일부 전도사들은 이 교회를 사탄적이라고 하죠.) 어쨌거나, 저는 이곳에서 활동을 하고 있고,

한 위원회의 회장직도 맡고 있습니다. 그런데 최근 들어서, 제 믿음에 대해 전적으로 의문이

들었습니다. 그래서, 저는 제가 정확히 무엇을 믿고 있는지를 알아보기 위해 이곳에 제 생각을

적어나가 보려고 합니다.

저는 26세이고, 다섯살 이후로 줄곧 교회에 다녔습니다. 19세 때 마약 중독으로 힘든 시간들을

겪고 나서, 20세 때에는 지방의 한 신학 대학교에 다니게 되었고, 그곳에서 저는 '구원' '지옥'

그리고 각종 '사탄' '마귀' 등에 대해서 주입식 교육을 받았습니다. 졸업장은 받았지만, 졸업 후

저는 제 믿음에 회의를 느끼고 다른 종교들을 탐구하게 되었습니다. (잠깐동안 이슬람교도가

된적도 있죠.) 그리고는, 더이상 무엇을 믿어야 할지 몰라서 결국엔 지금의 연합 그리스도

교회로 다시 돌아오게 되었구요.

마약 회복 프로그램 속에서, 저는 교회에서보다 더 자주, 더 높은 차원의 힘을 느꼈었습니다.

종교 일반에 대해서, 그리고 바이블의 특별한 부분에 대해서 저는 아직도 응답받지 못한 수많은

의문점들을 갖고 있습니다. 그런데 제 스스로 생각을 거듭하다가 답을 얻게 되었습니다. 단지,

그 대답들을 인정하기가 두려웠던 겁니다. 마치, 진실이 정면에서 저를 노려보고 있는데, 무언가가

저 자신을 뒤에서 붙잡고 있는 느낌이랄까요...

저는 저 스스로를 영적인 사람이라고 생각합니다. 저는 더 높은 차원의 힘을 믿습니다.

하지만, 그 존재가 단순히 '창조자' 인지 아니면 모든 인간들의 근원적인 힘인지에 대해서는

의문을 품기 시작했습니다. 죽으면, 우리는 그 힘의 근원으로 돌아가게 됩니다. 그런데, 그 힘이

정말, 인간들이 서로 다른 '神'의 이름으로 서로를 죽이는 그런 위선적인 행동을 하도록

의도했을까요?

사실 제게 가장 큰 문제로 다가오는 교리는, 지옥의 개념입니다. 사람들이 다양한 신앙과 종교를

가질 걸 이미 알고 있었던 전지전능한 '神' 이, 어떻게 다양한 민족들을 창조해내고 나서 단지 다른

종교권에서 태어났다는 이유로 지옥행을 선고할 수 있을까요? '神' 이 인간을 창조하면서 천국,

지옥행을 미리 예정지어 놓았다는 '예정설' 도 그렇습니다. 그럴려면 아예 인간들을 창조하지

말것이지, 기껏 인간들을 만들어 놓고 한다는 말이...

"미안하지만, 니가 지옥불 속에서 영원히 불타도록 내가 미리 예정을 해놓았기 때문에 너는

내 왕국에 들어올 수가 없단다. 미안~~~"

이것은 神이 인간에게 '자유 의지' 를 주었다는 개념과도 상충되는 이야기 입니다.

어쨌든, 최근 들어서 저는 "다빈치 코드"를 다 읽었습니다. 매우 훌륭한 책이었고, 저로 하여금

교회와 위선, 그리고 그런 비슷한 문제들에 대해 생각하게 해주었습니다. 많은 전도사들과

우익의 사람들은, 대중들이 그들 스스로 생각을 하게 되어 더이상 종교를 필요로 하지 않게

될까봐 이 책을 두려워하고 있습니다. 교회도 붕괴될 것이지만, 교회 뿐 아니라, 다른 종교들

역시 마찬가지입니다. 만약 '神'이 존재한다면 우리가 서로를 사랑하고 존중하며, 서로에게

이익을 주는 좋은 일들을 하기 원하지 않을까요? 먹고, 마시고, 행복을 느끼는 것이 바로

우리가 "살아가는" 이유니까요.

인생은 짧습니다. 그리고 세상에는, 제가 이해하지 못하지만 발견할 가치가 있는 것들이 아직은

존재하리라 믿습니다. 어쩌면, 교회로부터 잠시 떠나 있을 필요가 있을지도 모르겠구요. 잘 모르겠습니다.

제 글을 읽으시는 분들 중에 어떤 제안이 있으신 분들은 주저말고 이메일 주시면 감사하겠습니다.

이 지면을 통해서나마 제 생각을 배출할 기회를 허락해 주셔서 대단히 감사합니다.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

ThinkSmart wrote:

Would not it be wonderful if we could be certain about everything? Certainty is a desire that, I suspect, all of us carry deep within us whether we acknowledge it or not. As a matter of fact what you see in most religious groups, Christian, Jewish, Muslins, etc. is a “pathological certainty” that maintains “we have the truth and we are absolutely sure.” How comfortable that is. And, if you find a “crack” in that certainty, they will “kill you off” (literally or figuratively) or attempt to force you accepting the faith! For example: “If you don’t accept Jesus Christ as you Lord and personal savior, you are going to HELL!” Feels like a gun to your head, doesn’t it?

What is most interesting about us as human beings (and you see aspects of this in other species) is that we are “learners”. Granted some do not capitalize on that capacity and even urge that is within them to learn and gather new knowledge. It is more comfortable, some maintain, to sit back and to “accept” rather than explore and to know.

Let me give you another example: The bible is supposed to be the holy word of god – infallible. Of course it was written by “humans” and published by “humans”, who are not perfect. Well, as we are often told by our religious leaders, it is god inspirited, or whatever. Really? What does that mean?

Above all, if this god is a loving god who “created” mankind, why did he/she/it allow different religious activities? This god supposedly made mankind “free” to chose, but if you don’t chose the “right” items you are bound to hell. Well, says the counterpoint, mankind disobeyed god (ate the apple) and god banished mankind from the idyllic garden of paradise.

Now think for a moment: if god is a “just” god, why in the world are we continuing to struggle with this issue because some fool ate the forbidden fruit thousands of years ago? Well, comes the answer, god did send a redeemer that you just accept that you are washed in the blood of Jesus and you will be saved (from hell, of course). Oh! How wonderful! Then those poor souls before Jesus didn’t have a chance in hell to be free. This god, whoever he/she/it is certainly was slow on the response. 

Consider this: Mankind seeks purpose, seeks community, and seeks values as a way of surviving and living in health and peace. Sure, mankind is not perfect and does dumb things that create wars and destruction, but basically mankind works to resolve that and bring some type of harmony to their own. They want the community around them to “hold” them and “contain” them. The “caring” community is one ideal that has been essential to the well being of human creatures. Sure, you can find that message in the Christian gospels, but can you find it in other religious groups? Yes, you can if you look!

There is nothing “wrong” in wanting a community to be a part of, such as “United Church”, or a Synagogue, or a Temple, or whatever as long as it cares for all mankind, not just their selfish selves!

If you are enjoying the community where you go to church, fine! Just don’t shove it down other’s throats as if you or they have the supreme answer (which I doubt you are). You can contribute to others that than organization, or through other “communities” of mankind. You are not going to hell inside or outside the cathedral. You can create your own hell by the values you have or lack in terms of the treatment of others, treatment of the environment, consideration of the global community, and your values that will or will not contribute to the well-being of yourself as well as others.

Your struggle is so understandable and frequent in today’s world. My personal advice is – do not numb yourself with false self-assurance of “pathological certainty.” Your life will truly be limited if you do. Have a great journey! 

- JIM -

posted: 5/29/2006 10:17 AM EST 

- '현명하게생각해' 님의 댓글 -

우리가 모든 일들에 대해 확신을 가질 수 있다면 좋겠죠. '확실성'이란, 인식하든 못하든, 우리

모두의 내면 깊숙히 간직하고 있는 본능적인 갈망이 아닌가 합니다. 사실, 당신이 모든 종교

그룹들 - 기독교인들, 유태교인들, 이슬람인들 - 에서 본 것은 "우리는 진실을 알고 있고, 그것을

전적으로 확신한다." 라는 "병적인 확실성(Pathological Certainty)" 입니다. 이는, 무척 편리한 이론이죠.

그러나, 만약 당신이 그들의 병적 확실성 속에서 조금의 "틈"이라도 발견하게 된다면 그들은 당신을

(문자적으로나 비유적으로) "죽이려고" 들거나, 혹은 당신이 그들의 믿음을 받아들이도록 강제적인 시도를

할 것입니다! 예를 들어, “당신이 예수 그리스도를 당신의 주님과 구세주로 받아들이지 않는다면 당신은

'지옥불'에 떨어질 겁니다!" 같은 얘기 말입니다. 어때요...마치 당신 머리에 총을 겨누는 것 같은 느낌 아닌가요?

인간들에게 있어서 가장 흥미로운 점은(다른 종의 동물들에게서도 역시 발견할 수 있는) 바로,

우리가 "학습자" 라는 점입니다. 하지만, 어떤 사람들은 그러한 학습능력들을 스스로 이용하려 하지는 않고,

배우고 새로운 지식을 모으는 능력이 사람들 안에 있다는 것만을 강요합니다. 스스로 탐험하거나 알려고

하기 보다는 한 발 뒤로 물러나 그저 "받아들이는" 입장으로 남아있는 것이 더욱 편하긴 하죠.

다른 예를 들어 보겠습니다. 바이블은 무오한, 神의 성스러운 말이라고 여겨지고 있습니다.

하지만, 바이블 역시 불완전한 "인간들"에 의해 씌여졌고 출판되었습니다. 종교 지도자들이

흔히 말하는대로 바이블이 神의 감동에 의한 것이든 뭐든 이라고 칩시다. 정말 그럴까요?

그렇다면 과연 그것은 어떤 의미를 지닐까요? 

무엇보다도, 만약 이 神이 인류를 창조한 사랑의 神이라면, 왜 그 神은 인간들에게 다른 종교적인

활동들을 허락했을까요? 이 神은 인류에게 선택의 "자유"를 주었지만, 만약 당신이 "올바른 아이템(기독교)"을

선택하지 않는다면 당신은 지옥으로 떨어지게 되어 있습니다. 대위법은, 인류가 (사과를 먹어서)

神에게 불순종했고, 神은 천국의 이상적인 낙원에서 인류를 쫓아냈다고 말합니다.

여기서 잠깐만 생각을 해봅시다. 만약, 그 神이 "유일한" 神이라면, 도대체 왜, 수천년 전에

몇몇 바보가 금지된 과일을 먹은 일로 우리들이 아직까지 고생을 해야 합니까? 이에 대한

해답이 옵니다. 神은 당신이 예수의 피로 씻김을 받고 (지옥으로부터)구해주었다는 사실을

받아들이기만 하면 되는 구세주를 보냈습니다. 이 얼마나 멋집니까! 그런데, 예수 탄생

이전의 불쌍한 영혼들은 지옥에서 벗어날 기회조차 없습니다. 그가 누구이건 간에, 이 神은

확실히 반응(혹은 응답)이 상당히 굼뜹니다.

이것을 생각해 봅시다. 인류는 목적과 공동체를 추구하고, 건강하고 평화로운 생존과 삶의

방편으로써의 가치들을 추구합니다. 물론, 인류는 불완전하며 전쟁이나 파괴같은 것들을

창조해내는 바보짓들을 하기도 하지만, 기본적으로 인류는 그런 일들을 해결하고 그들 스스로

조화를 이루려고 노력합니다. 인류는, 그들을 "결속하고" "포용할 수 있는" 공동체를 원합니다.

"서로가 돌보는" 공동체는 인간들이 잘 살기 위해 필수적인 하나의 이상이기도 합니다. 물론, 당신은

기독교의 찬송가에서 그러한 메시지들을 발견할 수 있지만, 다른 종교들에서도 그러한 메시지들을

발견할 수 있을까요? 그렇습니다! 잘 살펴보기만 한다면 다른 종교들에서도 역시 같은 메시지들을

발견할 수가 있는 것입니다!

"통일 그리스도 교회" 이든, 유대 교회이든, 혹은 사찰이든 간에 단지 그들 자신들뿐  아니라

모든 인류를 돌보는 단체라면, 그러한 공동체에 속하기 원하는 데에는 아무런 "잘못"도 없습니다.

만약 당신이 다니는 교회의 공동체 모임을 즐기고 있다면, 그것도 좋습니다! 다만, 당신들만이

궁극의 해답(이에 대해서는 의심하는 바이지만)을 알고 있는 듯 다른 사람들에게 강요하지는 

말아 주십시오. 꼭 어떤 조직을 통해서가 아니더라도 당신은 스스로, 혹은 다른 "공동체들"를 통해서 

다른 이들에게 공헌할 수 있습니다. 다른 사람들과 환경을 대하는 태도, 그리고 지구촌에 대한

관심의 견지에서 당신이 갖고 있거나 혹은 갖지 못한 가치들, 그리고 다른 사람들에게 만큼이나 당신

자신의 웰빙에 기여하거나 혹은 그렇지 못할 자신만의 가치들에 의해서 당신은 스스로의 지옥을

만들어 낼 수가 있습니다.   

당신의 노력은 충분히 이해할만하며, 오늘날 흔한 현상이기도 합니다. 이에 대한 나의 개인적인

조언은..."병적인 확실성"이라는 거짓된 자기 확신으로 당신 스스로의 감각을 잃지 말라는 것입니다.

그렇게 한다면, 당신의 삶은 정말로 제한될 수 있기 때문입니다. 그럼, (종교적인) 여행 잘하시기를...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

mq59  wrote: 

"The Da Vinci Code" is a very interesting book, but its history/theology is mostly quite wrong. Have y'all seen the movie yet? I have a friend who I'd like to see it with, but he's been rather busy lately, so we haven't. Is it any good?

posted: 5/29/2006 10:51 AM EST 

- 'mq59' 님의 댓글 -

"다빈치 코드"는 제게 매우 흥미로운 책이었습니다. 그렇지만, 그 책의 역사적/신학적 묘사는

대부분 잘못된 것입니다. 모두들 그 영화를 보셨나요? 그 영화를 함께 보고 싶은 친구가 최근

너무 바쁜 바람에 저는 아직 그영화를 보지 못했습니다. 영화 좋았나요? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous wrote:

It is impossible to find certainty through beliefs. Beliefs are convictions held without proof, and cannot lead to truth. Beliefs are cheap. There are billions of them. Sorting out beliefs only leads from one delusion to another.

posted: 5/29/2006 11:04 AM EST

- '익명'님의 댓글 -

신앙을 통해서 확실성을 찾기란 불가능합니다. 신앙이란 증거가 없는 신념이며, 진실로 인도할

수도 없습니다. 신앙은 싸구려 입니다. 수없이 많은 종류의 신앙들이 있죠. 신앙들을 선별해내는

것은 단지 우리를 하나의 망상에서 다른 망상으로 인도해 줄 뿐입니다. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xrayman wrote:

Hey Harry,

Greetings from another recovering addict. I have never been involved in any organized religion but I once believed in the "Higher Power," that was the fundamental foundation of the Alcoholics Annymous program. After my total deconversion from believing in any type of God or religion I have come to realize the higher power that has kept me alcohol free for 15 years resides right in my own head. It is me. I somewhat arrogantly take full credit for my own recovery. Thank you very much.

posted: 5/29/2006 11:44 AM EST 

- '엑스레이맨' 님의 댓글 -

안녕, 해리! 저는 다른 중독에서 회복되고 있는 중인 사람입니다. 저는 어떤 종교 단체에도 소속된

적은 없지만, 익명의 알콜 치료 프로그램 기초 설립 재단이었던 "더 높은 힘(Higher Power)"을

한때 믿었습니다. 하지만, 모든 종류의 神과 종교를 버리고 나서야 내 머릿속에 머물면서 지난 15년간

나를 알콜로부터 지켜 주었던 더 높은 힘에 대해 깨닫게 되었습니다. 그것은 바로 저자신 이었습니다.

약간 건방지더라도, 저는 제 회복에 대한 모든 공을 저 자신에게로 돌리고 싶습니다. 감사합니다.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

steve wrote: 

Hi Harry,

The question that each of us needs to answer for himself/herself is: Do I want my beliefs to be based on evidence or faith? It is an essential question.

If you are faith-based, then you are not seeking truth. You have already decided what to believe. When contradictory information comes along, you can simply insert "faith" as your rationale, and don't pay attention to that bothersome, complicated stuff. There is really no work or discovery involved. You know what to believe, because you were told.

On the other hand, if you are evidence-based, you have work to do. And you have to take responsibility for what you believe. You have to seek out evidence and decide what makes sense. It is not the easy way.

For me, faith eventually became more difficult, though. The mental work it takes to continually dismiss evidence can wear you down. You can flood your mind with religion by attending services, reading the Bible, listening to preachers on the radio -- just keep jamming your inputs with the stuff. But as with you now, there was something deeper inside that was telling me to use my own mind and THINK!

I started with shedding all belief of anything, e.g., science, religion, supernatural, natural, whatever. I do have to believe that I physically exist, or there is nothing more to really think about, so I accepted that apparent fact and started trying to work it out from there. What evidence is there of anything? Well, there is plenty of evidence of lots of things. And there are viable working theories about other things. And the theories seem to change when more information becomes available.

The only evidence I have been able to discover about my religion, after quite a bit of reading about it, is that it is an evolved mythology. What I know of other religions tells me that they are the same.

Believing in a mythology is very dissatisfying for me. It might easier, since the society I find myself in puts a lot of pressure on me to conform my beliefs to those tales and legends. So why not just go along with the crowd, the path of least resistance?

People like you and I, and most others who post here, just cannot do that, Harry.

It seems to me that the default state of the human mind is truth- or reality-seeking. We gather information, process it, and try to make it useful. We are taught from an early age, tho', not to be critical thinkers in matters where religion and God are concerned. So we try to exist mentally in this state of cognitive dissonance. "What I see doesn't match up to what I believe, so I will insert faith to mute or block out what I see." The human mind is capable of extraordinary compromises when the reward or punishment is strong enough. 

I was around your age when I started asking the deeper questions, like you are doing now. That was around 25 years ago. Many times since I've wondered what's out there in the cosmos, how did it all happen, why did it happen -- or is there even a "why" to ask?

I am happy to live in a mind that can tolerate unanswered questions. The alternative is to bombard my mind with mythology, and shallow, lazy answers. I want to know what's really going on here, and I accept the fact that it's not likely that I ever will know it completely. Better to accept the fact that we don't have all of the answers than to be filling in all the missing spaces with lies.

I will end this with an inevitible question: What is the point of life, if all of the mythologies are untrue, and we are apparently just an accident of the physical universe? To my way of thinking, the point of life is what you make of it. You give

your life meaning in the way that you live it.

- Steve - 

posted: 5/29/2006 11:52 AM EST 

- '스티브' 님의 댓글 -

안녕, 해리? 우리가 우리 자신들에게 대답해야만 할 질문은 바로, "과연 나는 내 신앙이 확실한 

증거, 혹은 맹목적인 믿음에 기초하기를 원하는가?" 입니다. 이는, 꼭 필요한 질문이죠.

만약, 당신이 맹목적 믿음에 기초한다면, 당신은 진실을 추구하는 것이 아닙니다. 왜냐하면,

당신은 이미 무엇을 믿어야할 지를 결정했기 때문이죠. 상충되는 정보들을 접할때, 당신은

이성 대신 간단히 "맹목적 믿음"을 적용하므로써 귀찮고 복잡한 것들을 무시해 버립니다. 당신이

무엇을 믿어야 할지에 대해서는 그동안 충분히 들어왔으니, 아무런 노력이나 발견을 할 필요가 없죠.

다른 한편으로, 만약 당신이 확실한 증거에 기초한다면, 당신에게는 해야할 일들이 있습니다.

또한, 당신이 믿는 것들에 대해서 스스로 책임을 져야만 하죠. 당신은 증거들을 찾아내고, 과연

어떤 것이 진실인지를 결정해야만 합니다. 이것은 전혀 쉬운 길이 아닙니다.

제 경우엔, 맹목적 믿음이 더 힘들더군요. 증거들을 끊임없이 분산시키는 정신적인 노동은

당신을 녹초로 만들 수 있습니다. 예배에 참석하고, 바이블을 읽고, 라디오에서 설교를

듣는 것만으로도 당신의 마음은 종교에 심취할 수 있습니다. 그러한 것들을 자신에게

주입시키는 것을 막도록 하십시오. 하지만, 지금의 당신에겐, 나로 하여금 더 깊이 생각하게

만드는 심오한 면이 있군요.

저는 신앙에 관한 모든 것들의 껍질을 벗기기 시작했습니다. 예를 들어, 과학, 종교, 초자연성,

자연 등등 무엇이든 간에요. 저는 제 자신이 육체적으로 존재한다는 것을 믿어야만 하고,

거기에 대해선 더이상 재고할 것이 없습니다. 그래서, 저는 그 명백한 사실을 일단 받아들였고,

거기서부터 풀어나가기 시작했죠. 어떤 증거들이 있냐구요? 많은 것들에 대해 풍부한 증거들이

있습니다. 또한, 다른 것들에 대한 가시적인 이론들도 있으며, 그 이론들은 더 많은 증거들이

유용해질 때 변화될 것으로 보입니다.

꽤 많은 책들을 읽고난 후에, 제가 제 종교에 대해 발견할 수 있었던 유일한 증거는, 그것이 신화와

관련이 있다는 거였습니다. 제가 알고 있는 다른 종교들은 대개가 같았습니다. 신화를 믿는다는

것은 매우 불만스럽지만, 제가 속한 사회가 저로 하여금 그러한 이야기들과 전설들에 순응하도록

압력을 가하기 때문에 그렇게 하는 것이 더 쉬울지도 모릅니다. 그러니, 보다 저항 세력이 적은 길을

가는 대중들의 무리를 따르는 건 어떨까요?

하지만, 애석하게도 당신이나 나, 그리고 여기 글을 올리는 대부분의 사람들은 그렇게 할 수가

없습니다. 저는 인류의 정신에 결여된 것이 바로 진실 - 혹은 현실 - 추구라고 생각합니다. 인간은

정보를 수집하며, 그것들을 유추해 나감으로써 유용한 정보들로 만들려고 노력합니다. 그럼에도,

우리는 어렸을 적에, 종교와 신과 관련된 문제에 있어서는 비판적인 생각을 하지 못하도록 교육을

받아 왔습니다.

저역시 당신 나이쯤에, 지금 당신이 하는 것처럼, 좀 더 심오한 차원의 질문들을 하기 시작했습니다.

벌써 25년 전 이야기로군요. 의심을 하기 시작한 이후, 저는 우주 바깥에 어떤 존재들이 있을까,

우주는 어떻게 생겨났을까, 왜 생겼을까, 혹은 "왜"라고 물을만한 질문들이 있을까에 대해 수없이

생각을 해왔습니다.

한편으로, 저는 제 자신이 풀리지 않는 의문들을 참아낼 수 있다는 사실이 기쁩니다. 양자택일의 

논리는 제가 신화와 피상적이고도 게으른 대답들을 선택하기를 강요하지만, 무엇보다도 저는

참된 진실이 무엇인지 알기를 원하며, 또한 그것에 대해 절대로 완벽하게 알지 못할 것 같다는 사실 역시

받아들일 수 있습니다.

이제, 누구도 결코 피해갈 수 없는 한가지 질문으로 제 글을 마치고자 합니다. 만약 모든 신화들이

거짓이고,  인간이 단지 물질적인 우주의 산물이라면, 과연 삶의 요지는 무엇일까요? 저는, 인생의

목적은 바로 당신이 스스로 만들어 나가는데 달려 있다고 생각합니다. 당신이 어떻게 사느냐에 따라,

당신의 인생은 그 나름의 의미를 갖게 될 것입니다.

* 운영자님에 의해서 게시물 복사되었습니다 (2008-12-13 20:44)